Gulf Petrochemicals & Chemicals Association (GPCA)
Gulf Petrochemicals & Chemicals Association (GPCA) was originally conceived in 2004 by its founding members with a view to form a dedicated and non-profit association serving all of its members with a variety of data, technical assistance and resources required by the petrochemicals and chemicals industry.
The Founding members’ vision foresaw the need for a voluntary and non-profit association focused on providing the resources, aid and technical assistance needed by the petrochemicals and chemicals industry of the Gulf. This early insight proved to be accurate, enabling GPCA to come into existence speedily and be immediately accepted in the Gulf.
On March 1st 2006, GPCA was officially launched in Dubai by its members in an official ceremony. The organisation’s role and range of services were highlighted, enumerating GPCA’s benefits to the industry in general and to its members in particular.
For more information please visit www.gpca.org.ae
Back to Top
Borouge is an official member of the PE100+ Association, which is an organization, established in 1999 by the major polyethylene (PE) manufacturers. BorSafe® HE3490-LS pipe grade, manufactured by Borouge in Ruwais (UAE) has passed all the requirements and is listed on the “PE100+ Quality Materials” list.
The main objective of the PE100+ Association is to guarantee consistent quality at the highest level in the production and use of PE100 pipe materials. The Association has an Advisory Committee comprising representatives from some of the major gas and water industries, pipe and fitting manufacturers and contractors. Although their main roles are market guidance and feedback, the committee helps ensure that industry requirements are fulfilled.
The Association updates the “PE100+ Quality Materials List” of high performance grades on a regular basis through the monitoring of the most critical properties namely the Creep Rupture Strength, Stress Crack Resistance and Resistance to Rapid Crack Propagation.
The qualification procedure involves two rounds of stringent testing, administered by Gastec, who select samples every seven months from a list of batches produced in that period. Pipes produced from the selected batches undergo a pipe notch, internal pressure and S4 tests.
The PE100+ Association also organize seminars around the world reinforcing the need to maintain high quality standards and the use of only pre-made compounds in order to safeguard the future of the PE pipe industry. Over time the technical requirements of the PE100+ Association have become the reference standard in many countries where local standards and project specifications no longer represent the market needs
Borouge manufactures this PE100 material in Ruwais complex (200 kilometers of Abu Dhabi city, UAE) since 2003 under the Borstar® technology.
For more information on PE100+ Association on www.PE100plus.net
Back to Top
Gulf Plastics Pipe Academy
It has been clearly demonstrated that modern high quality plastic pipe systems can virtually eliminate leakage in the underground infrastructure. However the lack of local standards and knowledge in some regions means that it difficult to distinguish between poor and high quality plastics pipes and it is difficult to ensure good installation practices. Experience has shown that poor quality pipe systems have created problems and additional costs for end users and threatens the good reputation of plastics pipes. Therefore Borouge has taken the initiative to set up the Gulf Plastics Pipe Academy in the Middle East and is studying setting up similar organizations in other regions.
The formation of the Gulf Plastics Pipe Academy (GPPA) as an independent organization for the benefit of all members of the plastics pipe industry. The GPPA will promote the use of specified plastics pipe systems and good installation practice for the sustainable development of the greater Middle East region by:
Engaging its members in information sharing,
- Standardization and certification efforts
- Providing education and training on the design of plastics pipes systems
- Providing education and training construction and installation of plastics pipe systems and advising on ecological issues
- Promoting innovative new plastics pipe system approaches
In discussions with local industry these ambitions are being developed into the operational practices of the GPPA:-
KNOWLEDGE SHARING AND TRAINING
Encourage members to share experiences with plastics pipe systems -
- Creation of Case Study Bank
- Forum to dispel myths about plastics and to create confidence on its capabilities
- Coordinating members need for special studies to be undertaken
- Provide training and educational courses for pipe system designers and contractors (calculations, installations etc.) and pipe installers (installation techniques, welding etc.)
- Provide on site training to installers and engineers
STANDARDISATION & CERTIFICATION
- To support development of regional standards and encourage members to participate
- Facilitate and recommend certification schemes for pipe & fittings producers, installers and pipe user
- Performing the role of an independent testing institute – tests can be both in house and outsourced.
PROMOTION, HEALTH, SAFETY & ENVIRONMENT
- Organizing local seminars and conferences on plastic pipe systems
- Participating in Gulf Industrial conferences promoting the use of plastic pipes
- Cooperation with Associations for knowledge promotion
- Advising on ecological and environmental issues spreading the knowledge about the advantages offered by plastics pipe systems
For more visit www.gulfplasticspipe.org or contact Rob Lawrence: 00971-50-6134262
Back to Top